About the Event
During this presentation, Drew Horowitz, MA, LADC, LPCC, CIP and Mark Thomas Ph.D. with the University of Minnesota, will provide attendees with a comprehensive understanding of how addictive substances alter the brain and the challenges encountered when intervening and exploring solutions to chronic relapse and behavioral health conditions. This presentation will focus on key concepts in research on the addictive brain and how these changes can lead to substance use relapse. Participants will learn how to compassionately engage with clients, recognize ineffective behaviors, and will guide clinicians on modalities and understanding during active use and chronic relapse. Through anecdotes, best practices and experiential activities, participants will establish a base of knowledge on how to recognize the patterns of relapse, how to practice a biological approach of compassion with clients and a gain fresh understanding of the brains function during patterned relapse. Attendees will benefit with a stronger tool set and education on research to better break patterns in order to aid clients into breaking the relapse cycle and embark on a successful life in recovery.
- Participants will understand the physiological activity of an addictive brain, focusing on the research specifically related to chronic relapse.
- Participants will be able to recognize debilitating behaviors that are significant in recognizing triggers and patterns in relapse.
- Participants will explore the impact of science and behavioral health as a powerful combination towards healing.
- Participants will be able to develop communication based on proven research as well as successful methodologies on intervening with clients who struggle with relapse.
About the Presenters
Drew Horowitz, MA, LADC, LPCC, CIP is a nationally known and well recognized clinical interventionist and therapist. Drew Horowitz brings a vast range of expertise working with and overseeing clinical teams in the behavioral health field. With over a decade of experience, he has worked with a multitude of populations providing drug & alcohol detoxification, clinical case management, individual therapy, continuing care coordination, intensive outpatient services, consultation, intervention, coaching, and mental health counseling.
Dr. Mark Thomas, Ph.D. is a Distinguished McKnight University Professor of neuroscience and Director of the University of Minnesota’s Medical Discovery Team
on Addiction, a research team of over 200 faculty, staff and students funded by the state legislature to fuel cross-disciplinary collaborative research to discover
new, transformative biology-based treatments for Substance Use Disorders. Dr. Thomas received his Ph.D. in Neuroscience from UCLA in 1998, and completed
postdoctoral training in Psychiatry at Stanford and Psychology at the University of Michigan before joining the faculty at the University of Minnesota in 2003.
- CEU applications have been submitted to the Boards of Behavioral Health, Social Work and Marriage and Family Therapy. 1.5 CEUS will be available. This event will not include ethics or cultural competency CEUs.
- Attendees will be issued a CEU certificate upon completion of a post-event survey and post-test. Certificates will not be issued on-site at the event.
- To comply with board requirements for tracking attendance, attendees will be required to check-in to the event and check-out at the conclusion of the event.
- This is a hybrid event with both in-person and virtual tickets available. Please be sure you have selected the correct ticket-type at checkout, as refunds and conversions are not available.
- Drew Horowitz & Associates does not offer refunds on ticket purchases. If you’re not able to attend the event after purchase, please contact us to transfer your ticket to another individual.
- Direct any questions or comments to Kara Frahm, Director of Marketing and Business Development at [email protected]
Do you have a question for our presenters? Submit your questions to our online form and our experts will address them during this exclusive presentation.
This event is presented and sponsored by the Horowitz Health family of companies, and University of Minnesota